Social and Ethics Committee report
My responsibility as Chairman of RBPlat’s Social and Ethics Committee (link to roles and responsibilities) is to report on the matters within this committee’s mandate for the period ended 31 December 2015, in accordance with the requirements of the Companies Act (71 of 2008, as amended.
The Committee reviews quarterly reporting on:
- safety and occupational hygiene
- occupational health and wellness
- environmental stewardship and climate change
- compliance with the minerals policy, the Mining Charter and legislative compliance
- stakeholders in
- social and labour plans
- community development
- stakeholder engagement
- the Mining Charter
- human resource development, employment equity and transformation
- asset protection and security, which includes an update on ethics performance and the ethics hotline cases
- mine rehabilitation programme and commitments.
This year in terms of sustainability we also reviewed the:
- 2015 sustainability focus areas and the Sustainability framework implementation plan
- materiality process for 2015
- climate change strategy
- water and energy efficiency targets
- environmental, social and governance (ESG) disclosures
- CDP climate change and water projects
- an update on the BRPM closure rehabilitation trust obligations and closure plans for BRPM and Styldrift I.
We also considered and approved the revised risk management methodology and were updated on the employee home ownership scheme.
The Social and Ethics Committee and the Audit and Risk Committee have joint sessions twice a year at which we address the following topics:
- Enterprise risk management
- Group and mine risk profiles and registers
- Risk management related policies and framework
- Sustainability-related policies and framework
- The integrated assurance process, scope and findings
- Ethics status report and policies
- Fraud risk profile
- Group insurance programme.
RBPlat continues to meet its environmental, social and governance responsibilities, which is recognised by it qualifying for the new FTSE/JSE Responsible Investment Top 30 Index The Group also has suitable policies and frameworks in place to sustain its commitment to social and economic development, fair labour practices, environmental responsibility and good corporate citizenship.
There has been no material non-compliance with legislation or regulations or non-adherence with codes of best practice in terms of the areas within the committee’s mandate during 2015.
This committee is accountable to the Board and reports, through its Chairman, to shareholders at the Company’s annual general meeting on matters within its mandate.